We are looking for a Kitchen Porter to work at our Luminary sites (71-73 Allen Road, N16 8RY or 47 Chalk Farm Road, NW1 8AJ). Your key responsibilities would be to handle the washing up from our busy bakery & cafe, and then dry and put away these items. A good Kitchen Porter is essential to the smooth running of any bakery so we need someone who can think on their feet, organise their workload and help out our staff with cleaning when things get busy. Could this be you?
Salary: £10.82 per hour
Work Locations: Stoke Newington, N16 8RY or Chalk Farm, NW1 8AJ
Hours: Starting at zero contracted hours per week, with a review at the end of 3 months. We will target between 4-12 hours per week for this role.
Shifts: Where possible, shifts will be given no later than 1 week in advance (except for in exceptional circumstances). At the moment shifts will be scheduled on weekdays only but in the future may move to include possible weekend shifts.
Reports to: Head Baker or Cafe Manager, depending on shift needs
Employed by: Luminary Bakery Limited
- Ensure basic cleaning jobs are carried out as quickly as possible.
- Collect and wash up baking trays, baking tins, coffee cups, plates etc.
- Clean food preparation areas and equipment, in addition to crockery and cutlery.
- Help to unload food and equipment deliveries
- Keep the storeroom organised
- Keep work surfaces, walls and floors clean and sanitised.
- Clean down the Kitchen area at the end of shift and put the dishwasher on a cleaning cycle so that it is ready for shift the next day
- Cleaning down the Kitchen and carrying out basic cleaning tasks within good time
- Collecting and washing up bakery and cafe equipment to return to the kitchen clean
- Ensuring food prep sites are clean and maintained
- Cleaning down machinery/floors/surfaces to close down
- Disposal of waste
- Heavy lifting will be part of this role
- This may also include basic food prep on busy days
- At least one year of experience as a Kitchen Porter
- Organisation skills. e.g. the ability to organise your working environment and prioritise what needs washed first on busy days
- Ability to lift loads up to 5-10kg
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- A fast learner
- The ability to work unsupervised in a busy environment
- Knowledge of Health & Safety guidance and rules within a kitchen environment
- Experience of being a Kitchen Porter specifically in a Bakery or Cafe
- Manual Handling training
- Lived-experience of disadvantage and/or gender-based violence
- Free barista coffee each shift
- 20% discount off all food & drink plus a Family & Friends discount
- 10% discount off online purchases (celebration cakes & merchandise)
- Regular opportunities for training and professional development
- Quarterly reflection days where possible
- Long-term service rewards including merchandise, vouchers, increased holiday and free cake!
- Opportunity to be part of our Luminary ‘Sister Scheme’, pairing you with one of our Luminary graduates working on team, helping to be a role model and friend as she takes her first steps in the working world
Please send all applications to firstname.lastname@example.org by close of play on Monday 3rd May.