Head Baker (Production) Role
Please send all applications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who are we looking for?
Joining the Luminary team as Head Baker for one of our bakery sites is a fantastic opportunity for somebody who is passionate about the positive impact that baking can have and who wants to be part of a dynamic business that is having a tangible impact on women’s lives. As the business enters into an exciting chapter of growth, we are looking for someone ready for the challenge of growing the bakery team, fulfilling high-profile orders for our corporate and consumer clients, supplying the Luminary cafe business and overseeing the quality and excellence of all Luminary Bakery products from that site.
Job Title: Head Baker (Production)
Based in: 47 Chalk Farm Rd, NW1 8AJ or 71-73 Allen Road, N16 8RY
Reports to: Executive Head Baker
Hours: 40 hours per week, normally between 8am-4pm from Mondays to Fridays
Job Purpose: We are hiring for this role at both of the Luminary sites, looking for someone to take responsibility for the on-site bakery teams and support the Executive Head Baker with the day-to-day running and production of the bakery. This role is particularly focused on the higher-volume production channels (e.g. corporate orders, e-commerce sales) and therefore we need someone with the organisational skills to oversee large numbers of orders, competing deadlines and high volumes of production.
Key Job Responsibilities
- Supporting the Executive Head Baker by directly managing a team of bakers at either the Chalk Farm or Stoke Newington site, in order that they successfully produce and fulfil bakery orders across all business sales channels (corporate orders, café baked goods, consumer orders via the Luminary e-commerce store, wedding and celebration cakes)
- Ensuring the quality and excellence of all Luminary baked goods created on site, including brand consistency, product quality and food standards
- Oversight of site-specific bakery department planning and administration; including ordering packaging in advance for postal orders, liaising with suppliers, ordering ingredients and scheduling team shifts
- New product development: including recipe creation for press and partners (most recently this has included opportunities with Waitrose and Ben & Jerry’s), as well as developing innovative new product ideas and strategies for in-house products
- Maintaining on-site food hygiene and safety standards as per company policy and ensuring that the bakery team follow correct processes and procedures and have appropriate levels of training
- Support the Executive Head Baker in continually assessing the commercial performance of the bakery department; including cost of sales analysis, supplier management and regular stock takes
- Leadership and line management responsibilities across the bakery team, including overseeing work experience and apprentice opportunities and management of full-time and part-time team members
- Any other tasks that the Executive Head Baker, Head of Operations or leadership team may require
Job Requirements and Abilities
- At least three years of experience in a professional bakery or kitchen
- Ability to bake high-quality products including artisan celebration and wedding cakes
- Ability to oversee multiple priorities, manage a team and work to tight deadlines
- Ability to handle and lift items weighing between 0-50 pounds
- Proof of eligibility to work in the UK
- Experience working in a production kitchen or e-commerce food and beverage business
- Experience working with disadvantaged individuals or groups
Perks and Incentives
- Regular opportunities for training, professional development and building a personal brand,
including the opportunity to be involved with national press and high-profile corporate partners
- Free barista coffee each shift
- 20% discount off all on-site food & drink, 10% discount off online purchases
- Opportunities to be involved in Press at Luminary