Finance Director Job Description
We are seeking an individual who will lead all financial processes at Luminary - across our business and charity activities. As a small but growing dynamic social enterprise, this is not joining a finance department, but working closely with department Managers and Leadership to oversee all financial activities.
Job Title: Finance Director
Locations: Partial work from home available.
Luminary Bakery 71-73 Allen Road, Stoke Newington, Hackney, N16 8RY and/or
Luminary Bakery 47 Chalk Farm Road, London, NW1 8AJ
Reports to: Luminary CEO
Job Purpose: To develop, implement & manage financial systems / processes to facilitate the success and growth of Luminary.
Salary: Dependent on experience.
- Responsible for running the finance department of Luminary Ltd and Luminary Bakery Ltd
- Ownership of financial reporting & implementation of controls, procedures and best practices
- Develop financial policies to ensure operational efficiency
- Liaising with our external accountancy firm to manage financial compliance
- Using expertise and experience to set up efficient and integrated processes & software for financial record keeping / reporting
- Timely and accurate administration and analysis of business & charitable income/expenditure including but not limited to monitoring transactions, Quickbooks bookkeeping, accounts receivable, accounts payable, receipt management, VAT and managing cash controls.
- Creating monthly financial management reports for each entity, location and department.
- Developing an in-depth knowledge of organisational products, services and structure.
- Conduct periodic financial analysis to identify and resolve issues, gaps or variances.
- Using CEO and board input to develop strategy, budgets, forecasts and financial models.
- Creating quarterly financial reports for business & charity boards, and investors
- Managing financial elements of applying for and tracking charitable grant funding
- Track investments and maintain relevant cash reserves.
- Being a key point of contact for customers and other departments on financial and accounting matters
- Responsible for HMRC submissions including VAT returns
- Managing junior members of finance team, including volunteers
- Free barista coffee every day
- 20% discount off all food & drink plus family + friends discount
- 10% discount off online purchases (celebration cakes & merch)
- Free yoga/dance/wellbeing workshops where available from our partners
- Regular opportunities for training and professional development
- Wellness Action Plan developed to keep you healthy at work
- Quarterly reflection days where possible
- Quarterly staff socials
- Opportunities to be involved in press coverage of Luminary
- Long-term service rewards including merch, vouchers, increased holiday and free cake!
- Accounting or bookkeeping qualification (such as AAT, ACA/ACCA/CIMA)
- Advanced competency and experience in using Quickbooks or similar accounting software and accrual method of accounting.
- Proven ownership and leadership experience, in similar senior positions
- Analytical mindset
- Takes initiative to create & improve systems
- Excellent technology proficiency - Advanced Excel, competent with Gsuite, and apps such as banking, Receiptbank, HMRC, virtual meetings &, slack
- Organised and detail-oriented
- Minimum 3 year’s bookkeeping experience
- Ability to work independently and prioritise appropriately
- ‘Can-do’ attitude
- Excellent communication skills
- Flexible to business changes
- Sympathetic to the Luminary Faith Policy & supportive of the organisational values
- Experience of charity finance
- Experience in similar sized companies (SMEs)
- Lived-experience of disadvantage and/or gender based violence