This post is due to start in May 2021
Due to the role responsibilities, it is a Genuine Occupational Requirement that the post holder is female, permitted under Schedule 9, part 1 of the Equality Act 2010.
Job Title: Cafe Manager
Based At: Between 47 Chalk Farm Rd, Chalk Farm, London NW1 8AJ
and 71-73 Allen Road, Stoke Newington, Hackney N16 8RY
Reports To: Commercial Director
Hours: 40 hours per week (including weekends and infrequent antisocial hours)
Salary: £25,000-26,500 per annum
Job Purpose: To run and grow a well-loved Luminary cafe through managing sales, products, operations, premises, and staff (including graduates from the training programme) and to play a key part in growing the Luminary business
Key Job Responsibilities:
- Manage one of the much-loved Luminary cafés, making sure we are hitting sales and profitability targets and overseeing smooth operational processes
- Line-manage the café team (baristas and café assistants), making sure we have a happy, healthy team
- Manage work experience and apprenticeship placements for disadvantaged women within your department, ensuring women have a positive first experience of the working world.
- Positively support and advocate all of Luminary Bakery’s business, community activities and charity programmes
- Manage and develop the café menu, keeping on top of key food and drink trends and monitoring consumer demand
- Sourcing stock & equipment, including managing third parties such as wholesale suppliers and facilitating any necessary changes
- Responsible for maintenance of café equipment and repairs
- Training café staff & volunteers including café shift planning, recruitment, onboarding and one-to-ones with each team member,
- The training and supervision role will include supervision and one-to-ones with women who are on, or have graduated from, the Luminary programme, whether gaining work experience, employed as apprentices, or in their first employment role, who have experienced gender-based violence and disadvantage, working to develop their confidence and skills in a workplace environment. (For this reason it is a Genuine Occupational Requirement that the post holder is female, permitted under Schedule 9, part 1 of the Equality Act 2010.)
- Serving customers and ensuring the high quality of all products served
- Building a welcoming community within the café setting for local customers and women on Luminary programmes
- Marketing the café, including staying on top of current trends in the industry, sourcing local press and promotional opportunities, collaborations, and social media content
Developing, managing and implementing café policies and procedures for:
- Merchandising, stocking, restocking, rotating and storing of products and supplies.
- Ensuring the café meets regulation requirements and high cleanliness standards; organising deep cleans and regular reviews of the COVID-19 requirements
- Personal appearance, professionalism, customer service, communication and teamwork
- Banking, cash handling and cash register procedures
- Opening up and closing the café
- Taking bookings for afternoon teas and other events
- Limiting food waste from café and ensuring team are taking steps to a) reduce and b) follow steps for what to do with wastage (e.g. sending to shelter, putting on app)
- Liaising with Head Bakers to ensure kitchen use remains efficient and effective
Who we are looking for?
We’re looking for someone with experience in cafe management, customer service and coffee to take on ownership of one of our Luminary Bakery café sites (based in Stoke Newington and Chalk Farm).
We’re looking for someone who is confident in building good rapport with the local community, managing a healthy team, driving sustainable sales, and building on operational procedures to make sure that the Luminary café is reaching its full potential!
Job Requirements and Abilities:
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to take initiative and proactively problem solve
- Knowledge of café/food industry and trends
- At least 2 years experience in Artisanal Coffee
- Entrepreneurial, target-driven and able to motivate team to reach sales targets
- Excellent people management and customer service skills
- Has the ability to work under pressure and cope with difficult situations
- Good organisational, administration and managerial skills
- Cash handling experience
- Has a practical and flexible approach to work and has the ability to learn new concepts quickly
- Willingness to work varied hours/days based on business needs
- Ability to handle and lift items weighing between 0-50 pounds
- Proof of eligibility to work in the UK
- Strong technical ability to operate POS systems, scheduling software and G-Suite including Google Sheets
- Experience working with disadvantaged individuals or groups
- Experience running or supervising a coffee or food service business
Perks & Incentives:
- Free barista coffee each shift
- 20% discount off all food & drink plus a Family & Friends discount
- 10% discount off online purchases (celebration cakes & merchandise)
- Regular opportunities for training and professional development
- Quarterly reflection days where possible
- Long-term service rewards including merchandise, vouchers, increased holiday and free cake!
- Opportunity to be part of our Luminary ‘Sister Scheme’, pairing you with one of our Luminary graduates working on team, helping to be a role model and friend as she takes her first steps in the working world
Please send all applications to firstname.lastname@example.org. This post is due to start in May 2021.