Thank you for your interest in working at Luminary Bakery. Please read and complete our application form and return it to us at email@example.com.
In your email, please include the following:
● Completed Application Form
● Baking Portfolio
This is a Term Time Only position and the post is due to start 1st September 2021.
Please hold Friday 16th July for 1st round interviews and Friday 23rd July for 2nd Round interviews.
We are committed to building a diverse team, so encourage applications from candidates with diverse
backgrounds - particularly Black, Asian or Minority Ethnic candidates.
*Due to the role responsibilities, it is a Genuine Occupational Requirement that the post holder is female,
permitted under Schedule 9, part 1 of the Equality Act 2010.
Who we are looking for
We’re looking for someone with professional experience in baking cakes, breads and pastries and experience in teaching or training, to teach women on our employability programme based in Camden. The programme you will teach on is for women who have experienced ‘multiple disadvantages’ including gender based violence, experience of working with this demographic would be helpful.
We need someone who is personable and able to adapt their teaching style to each individual on the training programme teaching a small group and offering 1-1 support when needed. The programme sets high standards of professionalism and expectation alongside holistic support in a trauma informed space, as the women on the programme work to become employable and move towards a positive future, we are looking for someone who shares this vision.
Job Title: Baking Tutor
Based at: 47 Chalk Farm Road, London, NW1 8AJ
Reports to: Lead Employability Tutor
Hours: Term-time only, 40 hours per week, 9am-5pm, Monday – Friday (inc. 30 min paid break)
Salary: £26,500-32,000 PA, FTE, depending on experience.
Key Job Responsibilities:
- Teaching the Baking & Food Hygiene elements of the Luminary training curriculum
- Taking responsibility for trainee learning – in collaboration with Luminary’s Lead Employability Tutor
- Running bake along sessions for corporate and private clients to raise money for Luminary Ltd
- Liaising with external teachers to arrange masterclasses & extra-curricular opportunities
Managing expectations, behaviour & dynamics of the training cohort, maintaining a professional &
focussed learning environment at all times, with an end goal of employability and professionalism
Facilitating community to build amongst women on the programme, investing in them as whole individuals
and encouraging skill development and building confidence
- Running interventions for women who are struggling alongside Lead Employability Tutor
- Ingredients, lunch & equipment ordering for Phase 1 according to set budget
- Facilitating graduation events (one evening twice per year)
- Tracking & documenting trainee progress in order to evaluate services & support fundraising proposals
- Delegating appropriate jobs to and upskilling Teaching Assistant to cover teaching sessions when needed
Keeping training kitchen clean at a professional standard and having high expectations of cleanliness and
food hygiene from the trainees as they get used to a real working environment
- Ensuring all recipes are documented according to set guidelines
Responsible for the teaching and implementing Food Safety & Hygiene and Health & Safety standards in the
training kitchen, including equipment and facility maintenance
- Responsible for facilitating the learning of Food Safety and Hygiene Level 2
- Following & implementing Luminary Safeguarding Procedures
Working closely with Luminary’s Lead Employability Tutor to ensure targets are met and implementing
reflective practice to ensure trainees are receiving the best opportunities possible
- Ensuring a trauma-informed approach to training, whilst championing our trainees at all times
- Fulfilling any appropriate roles the Lead Employability Tutor assigns, for example: assisting with trainee recruitment, monitoring & evaluation, speaking publicly to raise awareness and funding
Job Requirements and Abilities
- Highly skilled professional baker competent in bread, pastry & cakes
- Skilled & experienced in teaching others how to bake
- Motivated & hard working
- Copes well in stressful environment
- Excellent communication skills
- Personable & patient
- Ability to multitask and manage competing demands in a training environment
- Sympathetic to the Luminary Faith Policy
- A champion of Luminary’s organisational values, embodying this in the learning environment
- It is a requirement of this job role that the applicant is female under the Equality Act 2010
- Educated to Patisserie Level 3 or higher
- Teaching qualification (College or Further Education)
- Experience in a charity or social enterprise
- Experienced in working with women and/or girls from disadvantaged backgrounds
- Experience of facilitating learning for those with additional learning needs or ESOL
Perks & Incentives:
- Free barista coffee each shift
- 20% discount off all food & drink plus a Family & Friends discount
- 10% discount off online purchases (celebration cakes & merchandise)
- Regular opportunities for training and professional development
- Long-term service rewards including merchandise, vouchers, increased holiday and free cake!
- Free yoga/dance/mindfulness workshops where available from our partners
Wellness Action Plan developed to keep you healthy at work and quarterly workload capacity
assessments to sustain your wellbeing at work.
- Quarterly staff socials
- Opportunities to be involved in press coverage of Luminary