Job Title: Artisan Baker
Based in: Roles available at both our locations: Camden (47 Chalk Farm Rd. NW1 8AJ) & Stoke Newington (71-73 Allen Road, N16 8RY)
Reports to: Head Baker
Hours: Full Time and Part Time roles available
Salary: £22,000 per annum (pro rata for PT), subject to experience
Producing artisan baked goods, working in close proximity with the Head Baker and the rest of the bakery team, to both grow our baked goods offering, and to ensure ‘excellence’ is consistently reflected in every baked good created and sold.
Key Job Responsibilities:
- Assisting the Head Baker & rest of the bakery team in producing the baked goods that are needed each day, on time and on schedule, ensuring daily production targets are met
- Tasks include baking, icing & decorating celebration cakes, baking and preparing event or bespoke orders and batch baking traybakes, layer cakes and cookies, amongst others.
- Assisting in product development; influencing the flavours, style and variety of both new and existing products
- Using experience and skills to pioneer innovative new products, ideas or strategies for increased business growth
- Supporting the Head Baker in running an efficient and well-run kitchen
- Ensuring that every product that leaves the bakery is to the highest quality and standard
- Fulfilling any appropriate tasks the Head Baker and Assistant Head Baker assign e.g. deliveries,
- one-off ordering, logistics
- Maintaining food hygiene and safety standards as per company policy and encouraging the rest
- of the bakery team to follow correct processes and procedures
- Helping to train and shadow the apprentice, interns and volunteers in the kitchen, along with the
- Head Baker & Assistant Head Baker, to ensure positive development
- Any other tasks that the Head Baker and Assistant Head Baker might require.
Who we are looking for?
This is a great opportunity for someone who’s passionate about the positive impact that baking and food can have on people’s lives. We are looking for someone who’s had 2 years’ experience in a professional kitchen, experience in batch baking and working at speed. With the recent launch of our second bakery this is an exciting chance to be part of a growing company that is having a tangible impact on women’s lives.
Job Requirements and Abilities:
- At least 2 years’ experience in a professional bakery
- Ability to bake top quality products that are uniform and consistent
- Motivated and hard-working
- Works well in a high-paced, sometimes demanding environment
- Organised, good at time-keeping and working to deadlines
- Excellent communication skills
- Understanding & supportive of Luminary and its social aims and vision
- A good team player
- Patient in training and teaching less experienced bakers
- It is a requirement of the job that the artisan baker is female
- Experience baking, icing & decorating wedding cakes
- Experience working with disadvantaged individuals or groups
- Experience teaching or training in a kitchen
Perks & Incentives:
- Free Luminary t-shirt
- Free barista coffee each shift
- 20% discount off all food & drink plus family + friends discount
- 10% discount off online purchases (celebration cakes & merch)
- Free yoga/dance workshops where available from our partners
- Regular opportunities for training and professional development
- Quarterly staff socials
- Long-term service rewards including merch, vouchers, increased holiday and free cake!
Opportunity to be part of our Luminary ‘Sister Scheme’, pairing you with one of our Luminary graduates
working on team, helping to be a role model and friend as she takes her first steps in the working world